The Bill of Rights was added to the US Constitution in 1791. While most American knew what their rights were back then, most do not today. How well do you know the rights you have?
Each of the rights violations below is a violation of the rights in the Bill of Rights. Which right is being violated? You can list your answers in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
1) Having a soldier staying in my home without my approval.
2) I am forced to testify against myself in court for a crime I committed.
3) The police burst into my home to search for anything they want.
4) I am arrested for a crime but my trial will not go to court for 12 years.
5) I am arrested for speeding on the turnpike and I have to pay a $30,000 fine.
6) You cannot practice any religion except for the one the government tells you to practice.
7) A law is passed so that Doctors cannot give information about getting an abortion.
8) A 25-year old man is whipped for stealing a loaf of bread from the grocery store.
9) The newspapers are not allowed to write stories about the war in Afghanistan.
10) You are not allowed to own a gun.
11) No state is allowed to trade goods with other states.
12) A law was passed in town that says high school students are not allowed to dance. (Who remembers the movie Footloose?)
13) All high school students petition the town government to have the above law repealed.
14) A man is arrested, but he wasn’t told why.